Gymnastic Rings issue

edited August 2015 in New Questions
I got some bcg brand gymnastic rings from Academy (the only brand they had).  I read the installation instructions repeatedly (and even had my son check to make sure I wasn't missing something), but the straps kept slipping through the locking clips.  I finally got them to work, but I'm still not confident with them.  Should I take them back and get a different brand from somewhere else, or should I just replace the clips with ones that lock more securely?  (I can't spend much.)

Comments

• That's the problem with no instructor to walk you through it. I had the same issue with the Rogue rings and straps I got a few years ago. At first they seemed to slip nomatter how I set them up. I just persisted until I got it worked out, but did have a few "exciting" moments. Maybe you could lug them over to a CF box or gymnastics facility in your area and have a coach walk you through it? I was too shy/stupid/stubborn to.
  • edited August 2015
    I didn't think they would help me out with something like that unless I was a member there or something.  I got these to work for ring rows, but I don't think they would hold for anything close to dips or muscle-ups.

Lyman, do the clips on the Rogue rings have "teeth" to grab onto the strap, or are they more sophisticated than that?  I'm thinking about just going to Lowe's and getting a couple of tie-down straps with locking clips.
  • Are these your rings @rosie?
    And do the straps have little lines of stitching at intervals that "staple" the two straps together?

If so I have almost exactly the same setup from a different vendor. They should be extremely "slip proof", in fact they're the most secure system of preventing strap slippage on the market.

If you confirm that the straps are like those shown in the picture, I'll walk you through how to set them up.

• edited August 2015
    I think that's the old model.  At least it's a different model from mine.  Mine have what is supposed to be a locking clip that is almost like a military belt buckle except that it's spring-loaded.  The clips are permanently attached to the ends of the straps.  The "teeth" don't keep the strap from slipping through the clips.

The clips look similar to this one:

http://www.strapworks.com/Cam_Buckle_p/mcbm1.htm
  • Ah.
    Yes, if the clamp isn't strong it will slip. A shame they changed as the other design is very solid.
    Any decent quality strap from a hardware store should do.
    rosie
  • rosie said:

I didn't think they would help me out with something like that unless I was a member there or something.  I got these to work for ring rows, but I don't think they would hold for anything close to dips or muscle-ups.

Lyman, do the clips on the Rogue rings have "teeth" to grab onto the strap, or are they more sophisticated than that?  I'm thinking about just going to Lowe's and getting a couple of tie-down straps with locking clips.

I bet they would.  Most CF coaches do like to help people with their fitness. As an optometrist, I love it when someone who's not already a patient or customer comes in to the optical shop to get their glasses adjusted for free.  It gives my guys a chance to make a good impression so that maybe they'll purchase from us in the future.

My clips do have teeth, and gave me trouble until I got it figured out.
  • edited August 2015
    UPDATE:  I went to Lowe's and got some tie-down straps, but they had the same type of clip, not as robust as the ones that came with the gymnastic rings.  In researching info on the straps I bought, I discovered that the clips are indeed called "cam buckles" (as I had previously guessed), so I googled that.  There were a number of videos on how to fasten them, including one for a different brand of gymnastic rings.  Lo and behold, the instructions that came with my rings are wrong (or at least VERY ambiguous) and I was threading the straps through the cam buckles incorrectly.  Got that fixed, and now I can take those tie-down straps back.  :)